What you can do
There are many things you can do to reduce your household food waste. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Buy funny-looking produce: Wonky carrots are still delicious
- Buy directly from producers: They are less likely to discard imperfect looking produce and tend to bring to the market only what they will sell
- Eat leftovers: Save money on lunch!
- Pickle: Both fruits and vegetables can be preserved through an easy pickling process
- Preserve produce: Turn wilting vegetables into soups, wilting fruits into juice…
- Discover recipes for using up leftovers: That risotto can become arancini, those leftover egg whites can be added to an omelet, and those leftover miscellaneous vegetables: a hearty soup…
- Some food waste is unavoidable: so why not set up a compost bin for fruit and vegetable peelings?