An international survey to Define the New Ecolabel for Animal-Origin Products Together
08 Nov 2023 | English
The SUSTAvianFEED project is preparing an eco label for animal-origin products
The European ecolabel has long been a symbol of sustainable choices for environmentally conscious consumers. Known as the “EU flower,” This label represents products that adhere to sustainability principles. The SUSTAvianFEED project aims to create a meaningful ecolabel for products of animal origin, and in order to meet consumers expectations, representatives of the project drafted a survey to better understand needs and preferences which will be shared internationally.
Among the main priorities of the survey, the organizers highlight:
- 1. Tailoring the Ecolabel to people’s Expectations: the project wants to ensure that the ecolabel aligns with what consumers, food producers or chefs, truly care about. Inputs will help understand expectations and priorities when it comes to sustainable animal-origin products.
- Shaping Sustainability Practices: feedbacks will directly influence the design of the ecolabel and, by extension, the practices followed by producers. By participating, people have a say in the kind of changes you’d like to see in the industry.
- 3. Making Informed Choices: An effective ecolabel empowers consumers to make informed choices. Insights will help design a label that provides clear and relevant information about the sustainability of animal-origin products, making it easier to make conscious decisions.
- 4. Encouraging Sustainable Agriculture: Producers’ input can help understand the challenges they face in adopting sustainable practices. Their feedback will contribute to the development of support mechanisms that can make the transition to sustainability more feasible.
- 5. Influencing Policy: Consumer preferences play a significant role in shaping government policies. By participating in this survey and expressing their sustainability concerns, they contribute to the advocacy for eco-labeling that can drive policy changes towards a more sustainable future.
What to Expect from the Survey
Questions will be about personal preferences, values, and expectations regarding 3 ecolabel-related design proposals, seeking participants’ opinions on various aspects of the potential ecolabel design, such as its layout, the information it should convey, and the criteria it should meet.
Participants’ responses will provide valuable insights that will guide the development of the SUSTAvianFEED ecolabel. This label will not only reflect people’s concerns but also serve as a powerful tool for driving positive change in the industry.
Together, we can pave the way for a more sustainable, transparent, and ethical industry.
Change the world through food
Learn how you can restore ecosystems, communities and your own health with our RegenerAction Toolkit.