Program of key events planned for the first day
Slow Food HQ, October 7, 2020 – The 13th Terra Madre Salone del Gusto will open on Thursday October 8 with two important events, accessible through the official platform.
The inauguration will take place at 12 noon (CEST) with the following official greetings:
- Carlo Petrini, the president of Slow Food, will be welcoming the international community of Terra Madre to the digital platform that will be hosting the majority of the festival this year.
Available here in Italian, English, Spanish, German, Russian, French and Portuguese.
- David Sassoli, the president of the European Parliament, will be greeting the international community of Terra Madre, the city of Turin and the Piedmont region on the occasion of the opening of the digital platform where much of this year’s festival will be held.
Available here in Italian and English.
- Marie Haga, a vice-president of IFAD (International Fund of Agricultural Development) will have a particular welcome for the Indigenous Terra Madre communities.
Available here in Italian, English, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Russian.
Then at 5pm (CEST) the “New Geographies and Possible Futures” conference will start. In order to make radical change we often need to analyze things from a new perspective. The science that investigates the reality of our surroundings is geography, and in the opening conference of Terra Madre Salone del Gusto 2020 we consider new geographies, alternatives to the current model of social and economic development and possible futures. We will be joined by academic experts including:
- Franco Farinelli, former Professor of Geography at the University of Bologna, now teaching at the University of Geneva, UCLA, UC Berkeley and the Sorbonne in Paris.
- Paul Collier, director of the International Growth Centre (IGC), an economic research center based at the London School of Economics, and author of The Future of Capitalism and The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries are Failing and What Can Be Done About It.
- Virginie Raisson, an international relations analyst specializing in geopolitics, director of the French research center Lépac and author of Atlas of the World’s Futures.
The event will be streamed live on the Terra Madre Salone del Gusto 2020 site here and on Slow Food’s official social media channels.
For video previews please contact [email protected].
For more information:
Terra Madre Salone del Gusto 2020 Press Office
Slow Food: Paola Nano and Gioia Baggio – (+39) 329 8321285 – [email protected]
City of Turin: Luisa Cicero – (+39) 011 01121932 – [email protected]
Region of Piedmont: Donatella Actis – (+39) 011 4322549 – [email protected]
Terra Madre Salone del Gusto is the most important event dedicated to good, clean and fair food and small-scale agriculture in the world. It is organized by Slow Food, the City of Turin and the Region of Piedmont in cooperation with MIPAAF (the Italian Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forestry Policies) and MATTM (the Italian Ministry for Environment, Land and Sea Protection). Terra Madre Salone del Gusto 2020 is made possible thanks to the support of businesses that believe in the projects. Among them, we’d like to thank our Platinum Partners: Pastificio Di Martino, Unicredit, Lavazza, Acqua S.Bernardo, Quality Beer Academy; our Gold Partners: Agugiaro&Figna, Astoria, BBBell. With the support of Fondazione Compagnia di San Paolo, Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Torino, Associazione delle fondazioni di origine bancaria del Piemonte. With the contribution of IFAD and the EU. In collaboration with SANA and Turismo Torino e Provincia.