What you can do
Consumers have great power. Through daily our choices, we can collectively redirect the market and production methods.
- Eat less meat: Our growing demand for meat produced quickly and cheaply is forcing animals to be raised in a system which does not value their welfare
- Choose higher welfare and better quality meat. See our pocket guide, Too Much At Steak for some useful tips on choosing meat
- Opt for meat from consortia, associations or companies with strict specifications on diet and animal welfare
- Pay attention to price: overly cheap prices are often a sign of animal and environmental exploitation
- Push your government representatives and policy makers to provide incentives for sustainable, high welfare farming and discourage intensive farming